Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Clerk

Buying tons of produce yesterday and to throw in for good measure.....some candy bars for my boy's next hiking expedition. The cart looked like a contrast in lifestyles and when I commented jokingly about it, the clerk with a very straight face said, "I haven't eaten one of those in years." I think being a dietitian that I am supposed to have a "clean cart" every time I shop, but my reality is that we do have some junk food around the house. The thoughts of what should be in my cart each time at the store are fleeting, and I don't obsess about who sees what. Still, I have to say I was impressed by the clerk. She was nonjudgmental. I think about people that I meet in my field and some of them are so extreme about things. They come off as very perfect, judgmental and in my opinion, perfection and being judgmental of someone else's diet and lifestyle habits do not serve anyone. Better to be compassionate, educate with love and understanding and meet people where they are in life. Nudging, rather than condemning, is always the best way to move someone forward. Kim www.naturesanswertocancer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment